Visa Regulations

Tourist Visa | Working Holiday Visa | Cultural Visa | Student Visa


Tourist Visa with exemption

Many countries have a visa exemption agreement with Japan, which enables citizens of these countries to enter Japan without having to apply for a visa in advance (List of Exempted Countries). However if your country is not mentioned on this list, you will have to apply for a visa before entering Japan. In this case, please contact the Japanese embassy in your country for further information. You can find a comprehensible list of foreign embassies in Japan and Japanese embassies overseas at Embassy Worldwide.

Up to 15 days: Brunei
Up to 30 days: UAE
Up to 90 days (three months):
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Surinam, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA

ePassport/MRP/Special regional passport required for visa exemption (Further Details)
15 days: Thailand
90 Days: Barbados, Hong Kong, Lesotho, Macao, Malaysia, Taiwan, Turkey

Extension for another 90 days (six months in total):
Austria, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Mexico, Switzerland, United Kingdom

For more information, please visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Working Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday Visa is a special visa type available to only a few selected countries. People with this visa are allowed to work and earn money in most professional fields.

You will find the restrictions for the Working Holiday Visa below:
– Nationality of one of the following countries:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, UK
– Between 18 and 30 years of age at the time of application (after receiving the visa, you can choose a starting point within one year); 18 to 25 years for Australia, Canada, and South Korea (up to 30 years may get accepted)
– No children to take care of
– Evidence of about 200 000 Yen in your currency on your current bank account
– After receiving the visa, you must enter Japan within one year
– The visa permits a stay of up to one year after entering Japan
– You can get this visa only once in your life

If you consider staying longer in Japan after your Working Holiday expires (for example study at a language school on a Student Visa), you will have to leave the country once and come back.
It is not possible to change your status from Working Holiday to another type before the end of the visa period.

For more information, please visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Cultural Visa

For interns who are unable to extend their Tourist Visa or are not eligible for a visa exemption due to their nationality, we recommend a Cultural Visa. Please note that you have to apply for this visa in your home country and that the whole process can take up to two months until you finally receive your visa. Hence you should make sure to apply well in advance.

One requirement for a Cultural Visa is an explanation of why you would need this visa in particular.
To achieve this, you must either be a university student or an employee. Your university or employer then has to provide an agreement, with sufficient proof, stating that the internship is required for your studies or professional training.

For more information, please visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Student Visa

A Student Visa is suited for people who enroll at a language school, university or other educational institution in Japan. The visa permits a stay for the designated study period – usually between 1 and 2 years.
However, Asahi Nihongo is not recognized by the Ministry of Education for pre-university studies. We are therefore neither able to provide Student Visas nor can we take in students holding this visa for the designated period.